Thursday, July 23, 2009

Q&A with me! (Anna)


Hello there! So today, I interviewed myself. Not much else to say, I've known myself for the almost 25 years now, and it's been great!

Q. What inspired you to become a musician?

A. Both of my parents were professional musicians at one point, and when I started playing at 10 years old, I really wanted to play the violin. But alas, my mother told me, "No! It is too high and squeaky and I don't want to listen to you practice that thing! You can play the cello...." It turned out to be a pretty good idea. My first teacher was amazing, and really taught me how to love music. She would get so excited, and run around the room conducting and waving her arms around. It was so inspiring as a kid to see how someone could be so passionate about music! She definitely passed that on to me, and now I carry that through into everything I do.

Q. What is your favorite part about playing for weddings?

I love seeing the personal touches every couple brings to their ceremony and reception, whether its the decorations, their vows, the readings. Thats what weddings are about after all, the couple and what is special to them.

Q. What is your favorite type of music to listen to on your down time?

I'm in love with Lady Gaga right now. Her music is so much fun! Beyond her, there's a lot of different artists like Feist, Cold War Kids, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Ingrid Michaelson, Alexi Murdoch etc etc etc.....

Q. What do you do with yourself when you aren't playing your instrument?

I make jewelry, stationary, clothes, cook, garden, etc. I am always bursting with ideas, so any chance I get to be creative, I take it! I also go and visit my adorable nephew (pictured above at just 3 weeks old!) any chance I get. At 13 months, and first baby in the family, every little thing he does is just the cutest thing I've ever seen. And who knows...with his amazing harmonica skills, he might be the next HCM musician added to the roster, harmonica prelude anyone?

Q. What is your favorite part about living in Baltimore?

A. I love the people and the character of Baltimore. This city is not like any other, and there is so much charm and character - not to mention crabs, natty boh and utz potato chips! Which reminds me of my favorite billboard, which also happens to be wedding related - the one on Charles St, just north of Penn Station with the Natty Boh guy proposing to the Utz girl. Its the best!

Q. What is your favorite piece to play during ceremonies?

I love French impressionistic music, like Debussy's Claire de Lune, and the Flower Song from Lakme. They are so ethereal and romantic - perfect for weddings in my opinion.

Q. What type of music do you love to play?

I actually have a huge passion for contemporary music. I've premiered tons of pieces over the years and love introducing completely new music to audiences and seeing their reactions, its a great rush.

Q. What is the greatest thing about being a musician?

Being able to express myself through my music and sharing that with an audience.

Q. If you could give one piece of advice to a bride, what would it be?

Have fun with your music! Choose music that is special and important to you and your groom, this your day and everything about it should be personal!

Q. What was your favorite wedding?

My sisters! It was held at the Cloisters, and it was the most perfect evening ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment