Sunday, March 14, 2010

Get to Know Hana!


So Hana and I met way back in high school playing in the Peabody Preparatory Sinfonia together. Hana started a company called "Ceremony String Players" back then and we played a ton of weddings all over maryland when we were just kids! Years later, Rebecca and I started Hill Chamber Music and as soon as Hana moved back to Baltimore, we snatched her up, and she's been playing with us ever since. We always have such a great time when we play with Hana, and I hope you enjoy getting to know her a little better!


Q. What inspired you to become a musician?
A. I think I knew early on that I wanted to become a musician. However,
I remember seeing the young, glamorous violist Nokuthula Ngwenyama
play when I was in grade school, and I remember thinking then that I
wanted to be "just like her."


Q. What brought you to Baltimore, and what about Baltimore has made you
remain after school?

A. As I am originally from Annapolis, a large part of my family lives in
the Baltimore/D.C. area. Thus, I naturally gravitated back towards
Baltimore upon graduation from Rice University; I Ioved parts of
Houston (and the Tex-Mex food!), but I definitely missed my family and
being on the east coast. I also moved back in order to study the
viola privately with my amazing mentor, a professor at Peabody.

Q. What is the best part about playing for weddings?
A. Seeing that look of elation and relief on the couple's face as they
walk away during the recessional.

Q. What is your favorite moment from an HCM gig?

A. In a wedding last fall, each member of the bridal party recounted a
special memory that he or she had of the couple. It made for some
really personal, touching moments in the ceremony.

Q. What kind of music do you listen to in your down time?
A. I don't know if I should admit this or not, but I don't listen to much
classical musical in my "down time!" You'd find a mix of artists on
my Ipod, including Nickel Creek, Radiohead, Carbon Leaf, Cake, Sufjan
Stevens, and maybe even a little Lady Gaga.

Q. What do you do with yourself when you aren't playing your instrument?
A. I love to cook for friends and family, as well as to hold potlucks and
BBQs in my home. You might also find me at Charm City Yoga or running
along the downtown waterfront path.

Q. What is the best part about living in Baltimore?
A. I love the many unique neighborhoods in the city, from homey Canton to
artsy Mt. Vernon to eclectic Hampden, as well as the pleothora of
great, affordable places to eat. And I definitely cannot complain
about living two blocks from the water!

Q. What is your favorite piece to play during ceremonies?
A. I love it when brides request Beatles tunes during the ceremony -
they're so much fun to play! However, for parties and cocktail hours,
I LOVE playing our collection of tangos!

Q. If you could give one piece of advice to a bride, what would it be?
A. Don't be afraid to pick music that's important to you and your fiance,
even it it might seem a little unconventional! We've played some
really awesome recessionals with unusual selections like Journey's
"Don't Stop Believing," and guests always appreciate those unique
touches!

Q. What do you do in your spare time?
A. Well, these recent blizzards have definitely given me some extra time
to catch up on favorite shows like Project Runway and Curb Your
Enthusiasm. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment